Frittatas are great to prepare during your “hour of power” on the weekend. Pre-preparing your first meal of the day will ensure that the rest of your day is set up for success. This Seasonal Frittata contains an abundance of seasonal vegetables, a portion of protein and good fats and will provide all the energy you need for your day.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 6)
- 2 zucchinis, diced thickly
- 2 carrots, diced thickly
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 100g bacon, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 50g spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 eggs, free range
- 200ml coconut cream, canned
- 50g feta
- 1-2 avocados, smashed
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a rectangle baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl toss zucchini and carrot in half the oil. Season well and transfer to the baking tray. Cook for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Heat a frypan over medium heat and add remaining coconut oil. Add onion and balsamic vinegar and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Add bacon and capsicum and sauté for a further 3 minutes, or until golden. Add spinach and stir until wilted.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs and coconut cream in a large bowl and stir through cooked onion mixture. Season to taste and transfer to the baking tray with the zucchini and carrot. Crumble feta on top and transfer to the oven, baking for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving with smashed avocado.
Recipe and image by The Natural Nutritionist.