Here it is. This protein packed salad is full of flavour and perfect served as a main dish or side PLUS most of the items you'll find in your pantry and it's super quick to whip up.
For the salad:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Bunch of asparagus (chopped into 5cm pieces)
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed well)
- 1 can of white beans or kidney beans (drained and rinsed well)
- 1 red capsicum, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped seedless cucumber
- Handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced in half
- 1/2 avocado (sliced)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- Squeeze of half a lemon
- 1tbs dijon mustard
- Jalapenos sliced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered. Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, blanch the asparagus. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water. Drain well and pat dry.
- Add the asparagus, beans, chickpeas, capscium, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, olives, and avocado to the bowl with the quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad and gently stir until salad is coated with dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy x
PS: Great to make a big batch and use leftovers for lunch the next day. Option to add a tin of tuna / salmon or cooked chicken and you're winning.